Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What Hurts the Most

We truly take for granted the many blessings we have. And it takes someone you know, one heroic life, to be lost to realize that we should cherish every single moment.


On Friday, March 27th, I got some very terrible news. My friend, Florence Bacong Choe, was killed in Afghanistan. I wrote a blog about her last April 2008. I am devastated. I continue to ask why and can't stop crying out about how unfair this is. I still cannot believe that she is not coming back. I am in disbelief.


When death hits you unexpectedly, especially one as tragic as this, it takes a great toll on your heart. She actually just returned back to Afghanistan. Two weeks prior, she was on vacation with her husband and daughter in Hawaii. She was also able to spend some time with her family and my sister, who is best friends with Florence. I had some children's books for theUnited Through Reading program she started out there. I also had a bunch of candy to give her to take back with her, but I was unable to get any of it to her. I feel bad that I didn't initially mail it to her or make the effort to give it to her sooner.


I know that I can't live on worrying about my regrets, but if only I made a better effort to give things to her, it would have made her stay there better. I think of her when I hear Rascal Flatts' What Hurts the Most. She only had 4 months left in her deployment.


My colleague said it best. You can't keep asking why because she has obviously touched the hearts that needed her the most. She has made her beautiful place in this world and in our lives. And although her passing was unfortunate, we need to remember to celebrate the life she led.



1 comment:

Michele said...

I'm so sorry for the pain you're feeling! If you need anything, let me know. I'm here for you!!
Love You!
~ Michele