Tuesday, April 22, 2008

15 months

Yesterday we had dinner with one of our friends, my sister's close friend, who is leaving for Afghanistan on deployment next week. My sister's close friend will be leaving behind a spouse and a 2.5yo daughter for 15 months!

I honestly couldn't do that. I couldn't leave my spouse and kids to work in another state, let alone another country for 15 months, albeit three of those months will be in Kansas for training. It still baffles me that a family is going to be separated. Although an officer and a hospital administrator, our friend would still need to be prepared to open fire at any given time, thus the training in Kansas. They would still need to carry a 9 mil at all times. Wow!

But then I shouldn't be surprised. These kinds of things happen every day. These people make these kinds of sacrifices every day. They leave their family because their orders take them to another state, another country.

Why, then, couldn't this person take their spouse and daughter with them? Because he, too, is in the military too and his orders are to stay in San Diego. Our friend leaving for Afghanistan is a female and next week, she will be without her husband and daughter for 15 months.

I mean, how do they (the military) decide who's going to go where and when and for how long. So many things race my mind when I think of them. Not that it would make things better, but why couldn't it have been her husband? Why couldn't it have been another family with older children? I don't know. I just pray for her safety and well being during her deployment.

Seriously, I cannot even imagine being a young mommy having to leave your daughter for that long. I commended her for her courage because God knows I could not have done that. I also thanked her for sacrificing this separation as she departs from the two people she most loves in this world.

God speed!

No comments: